Wednesday 20 August 2008

Not waving but drowning...

Firstly, on behalf of the bewildered I feel I ought to clarify that I am not a whiz at doing wheelies on a small bike designed for adolescent boys. No, 'trick cyclist' is in fact slang terminology for a psychiatrist. Far less exciting than BMX riding I know. I think it's highly unlikely that you will be seeing videos of me doing a 180 barspin, followed by a funky chicken (real BMX bike tricks, I am reliably informed) on this webpage at any time soon. I recently purchased an ordinary road bike and had enough trouble working out how to change gear, never mind anything else.

No, instead I have decided that due to current job of listening to other people all day in my career, I need the chance to vent my spleen at someone myself. Guess what, you're it! Aren't you lucky? The good thing is (for you) that you can leave at any time and I can just jabber on to myself.

Only one slight problem I currently foresee, I am pretty bloomin' hopeless when it comes to technology. It's taken me nearly a week to:-
a)understand what a blog actually is after someone told me about them
b)work out how to find them on the internet then register for one
c)choose a name, then a template, add a photo on the site and type this in.

Basically, if I don't get any quicker, I'll be older and probably more withered than Methuselah before I even get to the weekend. I'm hoping I've done the hardest part...

Anyway, I live in a small town 'oop north'. It's a nice place, up-market with lots of arty and cultural events happening and populated by rather a high percentage of posh, yummy-type mummies, their almost inevitably rich (and older) husbands and their delightful and usually gorgeous offspring with their often 'unusual' names. I hope the O family are a little more grounded than some of the 'yummies' as I like to call them, more about them another time!

I have a husband, originally from down under, who is rather keen on his cricket, golf and rugby so most weekends he is off doing one or the other, depending on the season. I just don't get it, especially cricket - how can a game that slow possibly be called sport? I think it was Robin Williams who once described it as 'baseball on valium'. Then there is the Duracell toddler, self-explanatory I think! (Note: other long-life battery brands are available....)

I qualified from medical school and did a few posts in medicine, surgery and accident and emergency before settling down in Psychiatry. After spending some time working overseas for a bit of 'life experience' as my mother liked to call it, 'doing less work with more time in the sun' I called it, I settled back to work in the UK. After paying an unfeasibly large amount of money to the Royal College of Psychiatrists I finally passed my membership exams , was awarded more letters to put behind my name and then promptly got pregnant. To be fair it wasn't really the best timing as the Government in it's wisdom was about to shake up junior doctors training, and what a palaver that was! However, after attending my job interview whilst 5 months pregnant wearing some huge Bridget Jones-style knickers I got my higher training post and all (so far) has worked out for the best.

So here I am, trick cycling my way through life....most of the time I really enjoy it and feel I am helping people, even though it is sometimes a slow process. Hey, it could be worse, I could be an appallingly bad BMX biker.

4 comments:

The Shrink said...

Huzzah!

Welcome to the blogsphere and great to have another shrink waffling away :)

Socrates said...

Welcome from the blogosphere's patients too... Yes, we're here as well... But we're quite nice; and not terribly mad and ranty.

Dr Andrew Brown said...

A very warm welcome to you.

I agree with Socrates that the doctors and the patients around here all seem a decent bunch.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blog world... I know this reply is way late since it was written but I only just found your blog and I like to nip back and read from the beginning! Just for the record I’m a patient also...